In first sight it seems that WP and Joomla has better solution when it comes to improving the speed, BUT - it is very easy to speed up your HTML page as well! :-) I will tell you 6 tips which will help you! :-) Here they are:
1. Check if your hosting provider has CloudFlare option in your Cpanel - if so - enable it for your site! It will help you a lot!
2. Make sure your images ALL HAVE width and height attributes set up! This way you will help the browsers load the images much faster!
3. Now about the interesting part! :-) Create a simple .txt file and make it .htaccess. Add the lines below. They are for browser caching and adding expires headers:
ExpiresDefault "access plus 1 month"
ExpiresByType image/x-icon "access plus 1 year"
ExpiresByType image/gif "access plus 1 month"
ExpiresByType image/png "access plus 1 month"
ExpiresByType image/jpg "access plus 1 month"
ExpiresByType image/jpeg "access plus 1 month"
ExpiresByType text/css "access 1 month"
AddOutputFilterByType DEFLATE text/plain
AddOutputFilterByType DEFLATE text/html
AddOutputFilterByType DEFLATE text/xml
AddOutputFilterByType DEFLATE text/css
AddOutputFilterByType DEFLATE application/xml
AddOutputFilterByType DEFLATE application/xhtml+xml
AddOutputFilterByType DEFLATE application/rss+xml
# remove browser bugs
BrowserMatch ^Mozilla/4 gzip-only-text/html
BrowserMatch ^Mozilla/4\.0 no-gzip
BrowserMatch \bMSIE !no-gzip !gzip-only-text/html
Header append Vary User-Agent
Now - simply upload it with your FTP program in your site's root directory!
4. If you are a good developer you can also combine images using CSS sprites + minify CSS and JS files.
5. If you are using MaxCDN you can also set up a CDN - but for one page I think it is not worth it...
Voila! Check your site now :-)
My own site - http://www.aleikovstudio.com - is also simple HTML and all the tweaks and techniques described about are used. :-) So far my results are:
Perf. grade - 95/100
Requests - 55
Load time - 1.07s
Page size - 1.0MB
Your website is faster than 88% of all tested websites
"A" Grade - First Byte Time
"A" Grade - Keep-alive Enabled
"B" Grade - Compress Transfer
"A" Grade - Cache static content
Page Speed Grade: (86%)
YSlow Grade: (84%)