Here are the best checkers in my opinion:
1. SEO Moz: https://moz.com/tools/rank-tracker
2. Majestic SEO: https://majestic.com/
3. SEO Glass: https://www.link-assistant.com/seo-spyglass/ (it is a program, not a site)
4. Raven Tools: https://raventools.com/
5. Ahrefs: https://ahrefs.com/
All are good and do a pretty decent job!
It is hard to say which one is the best! All of them have pros and cons! Make your own research and decide for yourself! BTW, you've mentioned InSpyder program - I am using it as well and I'm pretty happy with it. Here is one tutorial how to use it - http://tutorials7.com/tracking-your-keyword-position-in-se.html Hope that helps
Exactly on that topic there is an article which you can read here - http://www.matthewwoodward.co.uk/experiments/backlink-checkers-compared-ahrefs-majestic-seo-seomoz-raven-tools-seo-spyglass/ a comparison between all these tools. Personally I like SEO Moz....
I prefer online tools, here is the list of top 13 backlink checker tools http://www.seolinkbuilding.org/backlink-checker/